United Designers Summits and Workshops
Digital Design and Professional Practices
A 5-day course
It’s time to get the combined efforts and skills of the many excellent designers and practitioners working as teams. This planet’s people need us and the influence of our expertise to extend far beyond our own watersheds and political boundaries. We need to work together with not only a common goal, but a mutually supported mission, language, and process. Working together we can accelerate our development as the key designers at home and across the world.
The United Designers summits are a gathering of designers/practitioners wishing to extend their skills and experience into higher professional practice. Attendees will develop a consistent process to complete designs with high quality presentation, confidence, and efficiency. This summit is for current and prospective members of our supporting organizations and those wishing to join the United Designers Co-op. Attendees completing the summit workshops will join the cohesive teams of designers working on projects throughout the planet.
Summit Attendee Resources:
- Complete Design Process Binders in and after classes
- Access to all design process files and documentation
- Access to the UD Dropbox for working design files, templates, and symbols.
- Site assessment documents, tables, and resource libraries
- One-year subscription to the Natural Capital Plant Database
- All paper, drawing kits, and design materials
- supplied (may be purchased).
- Exercises and practice sheets to develop design speed and experience.
Summit Attendee Outcomes:
- Hands on experience with professional design practices and process
- Hands on experience with design drawing, software, and data mining.
- Complete documentation for professional practices.
- Forms for proposals, billing, and project management.
- Deep learning of all aspects of design drivers and elements.
- Continuing education and support via the UD on-line modules before and after the summit.
- Team building with fellow designers from all aspects of permaculture and ecological design.
Times and Dates:
Professional Practices and Digital Design, Upon Request
Register below for any course.
Advanced Permaculture and Digital Design, February 25 – March 1, 2019
Advanced Permaculture and Digital Design, April 8 – 12, 2019
Professional Practices and the Complete Design Process is a 5-day course. This course begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 5:00 PM. It has a concentration on professional practices and skill development. Although we will discuss client relationships, marketing, and accounting practices, we will emphasize each student developing a professional design process and presentation style. The class will assess a client site and create a professional design and the accompanying narratives as a group. Working in parallel, each student will be assigned various tasks and present their findings to the class as the process unfolds. Additional work will be required after the course for completing the final design and the documentation. Students will use on-line document access during and after the course.
Digital Design & Professional Practices $ 750.00
|Advanced Permaculture and Professional Practices.|
|Location of Course|
Two daily meals are provided; light breakfast and lunch with a group organized dinner.This fee includes handouts, workshop materials, organic snacks, refreshments, site visits, and access to online support outside of course hours. Lyft can be used for transportation to and from airports and train stationsRegistrationTo reserve your place please fill in the attached form and send a signed copy either digitally to our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail with payment (407 Wood Way, Burnsville, MN 55337). When the deposit of $250 is received your place on the course will officially be reserved and you will receive confirmation and access to our online support and materials via email.Conditions and Cancellation policy
- The deposit is non-refundable unless it is necessary for us to cancel the course for any reason.
- In the case of course cancellation all payments made will be refunded to you in full.
- If installment payments are not received on time, all participation and online support access will be suspended.
Instructor and Lecturers
Daniel Halsey is a certified permaculture designer and teacher for the Permaculture Research Institute, Australia, director of PRI/USA, and board member of the Large-Scale Ecosystem Restoration Section of the International Society for Ecological Design. Daniel has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Minnesota in Temperate Climate Polyculture Design and a Master of Professional Studies in Horticulture. Dan’s studies and research focuses on ecological polycultures, natural capital, increasing carrying capacity, and woodland food systems. He has co-authored three books on sustainable design including Integrated Forest Gardening, 2014. He is hired nationally and internationally to design private homesteads, intentional communities, ecological restoration, and broad-acre transitions in Haiti, Lebanon, Costa Rica, Canada, across the United States, Alaska, Hawaii, in The United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and now in The Netherlands.
Registration: Advanced Permaculture and Ecological Design and/or Professional Practices WorkshopsA Permaculture Design Certificate is not a prerequisite for this course. Booking your seat in the course The fee for the courses is $1100.00 / $750 / $1600 Course payments are to be made to SouthWoods Forest GardensAn initial deposit of $250.00 is required for reservation. Please tell us your method of payment (mark your choice/delete the other options as appropriate):
- I am paying the full-course costs of $1100, $750, or $1600
- I am paying the deposit of $250.00 and will pay the balance of before the first class.
- I am applying for the work-trade tuition and have enclosed official proof of social benefit/student status.
I agree to allow my photograph to be used in SouthWoods permaculture articles and communications.
Meals:Fruit, snacks, breads, and drinks will be provided. A light lunch will be provided. Dinners will be a group arranged. Lodging: Shared rooms available on-site for modest cost.Tent areas and off-site lodging is available.
Textbooks:Site Assessment Workbook by Dan Halsey
Content Online: Various PDF and graphical documents will be supplied via e-mail and google docs. This documentation will be used for self-study prior to the course. Topical URL links will be supplied throughout the course for deeper learning, site assessment resources, and research.